Earlier in the week I had finished texturing the block placement for the second pillar hall. This area is where the entrance to the staircase leading to the roof can be found.
So, yesterday after a lot of fussing with naming conventions in Maya, I brought the temple into the Unreal Engine. It’s a big milestone for me. I had been testing the process out over the past few months on smaller sections, but this time the entire temple was exported out. From this point on, the majority of the work will be done in unreal, with the exception of texture enhancements (like adding in hieroglyphs).
I’m impressed with the dynamic lighting capabilities of the software (even though I still need to read up on Unreal’s ins and outs). I particularly like how the lighting adjusts as you move into darker areas…very cool.
I did run into some issues with the floor tiles. It seems, that there is an issue with the light maps that are generated in the shadowy areas, causing the floor to look very quilted. Hopefully I can solve this without going back to Maya and Substance.
Carlos Santos did a fantastic job translating the topological data of the surrounding area into 3D. I’m going to bring this model into Unreal, to use as reference. I’d like to experiment a little with Unreal’s terrain builder. I believe it is optimized for larger areas of geometry.